I know, I know, this is a bit random. In this post I wanted to spend a little bit of time writing about something I’m passionate about. Food. In a bit lighter of a blog post today.
It’s where probably 80% of my spare money goes. I love food. I love eating at different places and I also know how what I eat can really impact how much energy I have.
I’m the most productive when I have a good streak of 2 or more days where I eat “properly”. What does this mean? Here’s a typical day of food for me looks like.
- Waking: I start with coffee, after doing my 10 minutes of stretching.
- Breakfast: Something high in carbs, like porridge (oats) or weetabix with some fruit and orange juice for vitamin C.
- Snack: I like a bit of fruit and some almonds as my morning snack.
- Lunch: A sandwhich here, 50/50 bread with a filling which varies. Along with some more fruit and a cup of coffee.
- Snack: I’m not gonna lie, in here I’ll throw in a small bar of chocolate, like a 2 finger small kitkat, or a penguin bar.
- Dinner: Some sort of meat or fish (chicken, beef etc) with a carb and veg.
- Evening snack: I eat early with the little lad, so by evening time I’m ready to go again. This is where I sometimes fall into the trap of eating too much sugar (hello pack of digestives).
OK, it’s not a perfect diet. I’m not counting the calories and I can certainly do better. I make sure I’m having fruits and veg and not too much processed or high in sugar food. If I do have those I find I start to crash by the middle of the afternoon and can’t get much done.
Yep, todays Friday and the day I give myself off. I’ve reached the end of a good week so I’ll treat myself. This will either be a meal out or we’ll order in a take-away.
Saturdays I like to relax, and keep my day pretty light – I’ll write my newsletter and spend time with my little boy. It’s not the end of the world if I’m feeling a bit lethargic, as I know I’ll have enjoyed a good cheat meal the night before.
Sometimes I might not do this on a Friday, but if I don’t, I’ll definitely do it on a Saturday for sure.
Why am I writing this?
It might sound weird – but I’m most productive when I eat well (which means multiple times a day). It also helps me get to the end of the week if I know there’s a treat at the end. I can keep focussed, and I eat when I’m hungry to keep my energy levels topped up and not jumping up and down from too much sugar or too long between meals.
How about you? What do you do? How do you eat to stay productive and focussed?
Leave a Reply